AIA Akron January CHAPTER MEETING
Thursday, January 17, 2013
“Architecture Building Design Competition Presentations”
Two Hours HSW/SD CEUs
In August, Kent State President Lester A. Lefton announced that the College of Architecture and Environmental Design will get a new home on the Kent State University Esplanade, a pedestrian walkway through campus that is currently being extended into downtown Kent, Ohio.
The new $40M College of Architecture will unite a program which is currently being housed in three separate buildings. After receiving 37 submissions from international and national design firms, a short list of four has been created. Please join us as we listen to the long awaited presentation of their solutions.
The four teams selected for the last stage of the design competition are:
- Bialosky + Partners Architects, with offices in New York and Cleveland, in association with Architecture Research Office of New York
- Richard L. Bowen + Associates Inc. of Cleveland in association with Weiss/Manfredi of New York
- The Collaborative Inc. of Toledo, Ohio, in association with the Miller Hull Partnership of Seattle
- Westlake Reed Leskosky with offices in Cleveland and four other cities
- The four firms will outline their strategy for creating a sustainable solution for the building.
- Each firm will present their solution for siting and justify it as it relates to aesthetics, connections to campus and maximizing environmental effects on the building.
- Discuss overall programming and code adherence in addition to general life safety compliance.
- Each firm will show how their solution provides a contextual, yet unique, solution and how it ties into the campus utilizing proper materials, building entry/connection, and building siting.
The new architecture building is part of the university’s campus transformation, called “Foundations of Excellence: Building the Future,” which involves the construction of new buildings, facility upgrades and establishment of dynamic, new spaces. The goal of this initiative is to create the most outstanding academic experience for students, faculty, staff, alumni and the greater community enriched by the university.
On January 17, 2013, the four selected teams will present their design concepts, sustainability data and a cost estimate to the selection committee, followed by an abbreviated presentation that will be open to the public, including College of Architecture and Environmental Design students and faculty. While the sustainability data is analyzed and the cost estimate will be reviewed by independent sources, the presentation materials will be further evaluated by the jury to determine the winning design scheme. The winner of the competition is expected to be announced in February 2013.
Kent State University | Dinner – Ballroom Balcony, 3rd Floor | Program – Cartwright Auditorium*
5:00 – Social | 6:00 – Dinner | 7:00 Program*
Parking tickets will be validated
* There is a short, outdoor walk between the location of dinner and the program. Please plan accordingly. There is not guaranteed parking at the Cartwright Auditorium and walking is recommended.
* AIA Akron members – included in dues
* Non-members of AIA Akron and guests – $25.00 to be paid in advance of meeting by noon, Thursday, January 10, 2013
Contact Carolyne Tinsley at 330-699-9788 or RSVP@aiaakron.org
by noon, Thursday, January 10, 2013.
2 AIA LUs/HSW/SD will be issued for the program. The program is equal to 2 contact hours for other organizations requiring continuing education.