AIA Akron January Chapter Meeting
Kent State University
Integrated Design/CM at Risk as a Viable Process
The Kent State University is in the process of designing a new facility for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design utilizing Integrated Design combined with a Construction Manager at Risk delivery system. The process has resulted in a facility that addresses in a more comprehensive manner the goals of the College. Understanding the dynamics, individual perspectives, forces shaping each participant’s role and how the end result was an improvement to the project while reinforcing the design concept will be presented.
- Understanding the process of Integrated Design and Construction.
- Through presentation of a real project example, follow the decision making in an IDC project from selection of the competition winner until the completion of schematic design.
- Understand the perspective and roles from the viewpoint of the design architect, executive architect, construction manager at risk, university architect, and the user.
- Understand the means by which win/win situations can be achieved in the design process.
- Marion Weiss, Weiss/Manfredi Architects
- Michael Manfredi, Weiss/Manfredi Architects
- Michael Bruder, Kent State Director of the University Architect’s Office
- Jeff Long, Pre-Construction Manager, Gilbane Construction
- Alan Renzi, Principal, Richard L Bowen Architects
- Douglas L Steidl, Dean, KSU College of Architecture and Environmental Design
Location: Kent State University | Dinner – Student Center Ballroom Balcony, 3rd Floor | Program – Cartwright Auditorium*
* There is a short, outdoor walk between the location of dinner and the program. Please plan accordingly. There is no guaranteed parking at the Cartwright Auditorium and walking is recommended.
Time: 5:00 – Social | 6:00 – Dinner | 7:00 Program*
Cost: AIA Akron members – included in dues * Non-members of AIA Akron and guests – $25.00 to be paid in advance of meeting by noon, January 13, 2014.
To Register: By noon, January 13, 2014.
Learning Units: 1AIA LUs/HSW will be issued for the program. The program is equal to 1 contact hour for other organizations requiring continuing education.
AIA Transcripts: AIA members, you will need to sign in on the registration sheet at Cartwright Hall for the CEUs to be recorded on AIA CES transcripts.
All others will need to request a PDF certificate to be emailed to them. Please contact me at email@example.com if you want a certificate.
Click on the link below to register or RSVP.