AIA Akron is a local component of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). We represent over 170 members in 11 counties of the greater Akron area. Our mission is to organize and unite in fellowship the members of the Architecture profession. We promote the aesthetic, scientific and art of planning by advancing the standards of architectural education, training, and practice, to coordinate the building industry and the profession of architecture to ensure the advancement of the living standards or people through their improved environment.
Pecha Kucha Cleveland – Volume 19
THIS Friday, August 23rd, 2013, Rain or Shine*
Doors Open: 7;00pm
Presentations Begin: 8:30pm
Beverage Break: 9:20
Presentations Resume: 9:45pm
Presentations End: 10:30pm
In 5 days PKN will be taking over West 24th street, sitting in the shadow of the West Side Market in Ohio City. In the event of rain, PKN will take place in the Tasting Room of Great Lakes Brewery, just down the street*. Keep an eye on their Facebook page and Twitter for the announcement of whether or not it will be on West 24th or in the Great Lakes Tasting Room. The announcement will be made by 1pm on Friday, and really, if you show up to West 24th on Friday and we aren’t there, we are in the tasting room; just walk on down.
As always, each presenter will get to show 20 images of their work, with each image pre-timed to 20 seconds per image. While PKN19 is free and open to the public, the occasional $5 donation for their outdoor events to help subsidize some of the misc. equipment/permit costs.
*If it rains and PKN end up in the Great Lakes Tasting Room, it will be a limited entry to 200 people. Guests that do not get in at first are encouraged to return at the break (9:20pm) to see if any spots have opened up. Typically quite a few spots will open up at the break.
The presenter list (in NO particular order):
- Faith McFluff – Hula Hoop instructor and performer at Cleveland Exotic Dance
- Mark Stadiot – Illustrator and Designer
- Fred and Laura Bidwell – Photography collectors and co-founders of the Transformer Station (partnership with Cleveland Museum of Art)
- Mike Zubal – Owner of Zubal Books (amazing book collection and to add to it, own a former twinkie factory where books are stored)
- Loren Naji – Amazing Sculpture artist and gallery owner
- Johnny S – Owner, JohnnyVille Slugger, Custom engraved baseball bat store in Ohio City
- Sam McNulty and Andy Tveekrem – Owner and Brewmaster, respectively, at Market Garden Brewery
- Marilou Suszko – Journalist, foodwriter and culinary educator
- Wayne Mortensen – Architect with a passion for Architecture, Urban Design and Social Work
- Paul Brenner – Founder and Brew Expert at The Cleveland Brew Shop
- Mark Raymond – Founder, The Cleveland Hostel
- Marc Ciccarelli – Architect and owner of Studio Techne
Event Hashtag: #PKNCLE19
CSI Scholarship and Application
The Akron–Canton Chapter and the Cleveland Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) are offering one year $1000.00 scholarships (a total of 3 scholarships) for college students who are presently (2012-2013) enrolled in an accredited college or university serving the construction industry in the northeast Ohio area, and desire to pursue a career in the construction industry. This scholarship will be for the 2013-2014 academic year. Scholarship recipients are required to become a student CSI member and must attend at least one Akron Canton Chapter or one Cleveland Chapter CSI meeting during the school year for which the scholarship is awarded.
Deadline to register is August 30, 2013.
Please download PDF below to find out more: